The lean web scraping course teaches you multiple step-by-step scraping approaches that do not require Python programming or any kind of coding - neither do you need a lot of expensive tools. The course is part of the "lean" series of courses and it is called so because it teaches you to be the most efficient possible in lesser time and fewer lessons and fewer watch times than other courses of the same skill.
Before you start the course, you can find a number of ways you can use web scraping below:
- Listings gathering - This is an area where the businesses are using web scraping to gather already listings from any website (example: job listings, real estate listings, etc - can be applied to any industry
- Email Address gathering - The purpose of this is lead generation. Lead generation and Email extraction is a big application of web scraping for both B2B and B2C companies
- Product review scrapes - this is an important one and the reason why many companies use it is so that they can keep an eye on their competitors.
- Scraping for database creation or app creation - The purpose is to get similar data from different websites and then post all that data into one.
- Social listening - Collecting data from different social media websites, find what's trending and what's in.
- Stat collection - Getting massive amounts of data for research purposes - This could be scraping of government websites or other websites for stats, general information and such.
- Research & analysis - Research companies pull in massive amounts of data and then make sense of it. Usually, this data is put into an analytics tool.
- User sentiment & product feedback analysis - Understanding customer sentiment and feedback by extracting reviews from E-commerce portals and other public forums
- Product catalog creation - Building product catalog and using price data from competitive pricing
- Social campaign extraction - Extracting data from social media sites that allow crawling to gauge consumer trend and the way they react to campaigns
- Aggregator creation - Extracting hotel data and airline data to build aggregators, generate leads and provide better customer experience from the insights derived from the reviews
- Comparison sites - Building price comparison sites
- Risk prevention - Various government and private watchdogs can use web scraping to prevent malicious activities
- Competitor Analytics - Competitive intelligence by monitoring other players
- Reputation management - Scrape people profiles from social networks for tracking online reputation
- SEO - Scrape search engine results for SEO tracking
- Ad targeting - Provide better-targeted ads to their customers